18 year old twins, posting whatever whenever.

Thursday 1 January 2015

In Thailand, soap dramas are called Lakorns. The structure of a Lakorn is similar to other popular Asian dramas. They run for months, weeks or years, depending on popularity. 

The thing is, with Lakorns, it’s difficult. I thought Korean dramas were flowery and stupid but, Lakorns definitely take the gold. I’ve seen a fair few in my time and I can write with confidence that most Lakorn dramas thrust an aspect of Thai culture into a negative light. Some, not all, tend to expose just how bad the political, social and environmental climate is, in Thailand.

Although I tend to enjoy these themes, it really makes me mad how easy it is to place women into a pocket of stereotypes. And the whole arm grabbing that looks like physical assault. But for the remaining few that are testing the waters, expanding the one dimensional characterizations, and completely blowing my mind ...THANK YOU

Here we are. The top 5 Lakorns in no order:

1.  Sud Sai Paan 

I like this drama because I am a twin and the acting was just exceptional. I hate watching dramas with actors that are like ugh, i cant relate to this so I am just going to wing it, and when the characters don't try to defend themselves, they just take it. There are times when the lead does actively ignore the problem and tries to defend herself but not as much as she should've. However, it gets the job done and the ending is perf. I've seen this drama like a hundred times because it doesn't drag on too much, its just perfect among other lakorns and severely addictive.

The entire english playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0uteiBjbembIC3s2ImabgxfVlOpY43LQ




2.  Hormones: The Series 

The Hormones is a drama that has just finished airing. It centers around the issues of puberty and growing up, hence the little hormones pun there.There were unbelievable amounts of bad criticism from the public because of the sexual themes involved. However, true to its theme, no ban or change was made to the show. Essentially, its a Thai version of Skins. 

I love this drama because sexuality, drugs, isolation and teenage pregnancy aren't something openly talked about in Thai culture. "We know these issues are in society but it feels as though if we talk about them, it will bring more attention to them. Thus, making these issues bigger." But really, these issues need to be discussed in order for improvement and guidance from understanding adults. Definitely, my fave drama so far.  

The entire english playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX8kHJVJ3_Njr8-qZ0tv-EUHsWpA-BQdI 




3.  Full House 

Full house is a Thai remake of a Korean drama. Although it doesn't do it justice, the couple were absolutely amazing in terms of their roles. And the chemistry is real! I swear! Basically this girl gets ripped off by her scheming sister who ends up selling her house while she is in Korea to a superstar named Mike. I don't want to give away the entire story so I am just going to leave this lovely little gif that gives me so many feels:

The entire english playlist: http://www.viki.com/tv/22443c-full-house 




Seriously tho, I severely enjoyed these dramas and I seriously hope you guys do too. I have provided the link to where you guys can watch these dramas in english sub :D:D:D As they were difficult for me to find. Also, get used to shitty quality videos. I can only find 2 of these dramas in HD.

Rose.

0 comments:

Post a Comment